Join us for Robot Demonstrations and a Showcase Sept 13 at the Get Your Bot On! Robotics Hackathon at MaRS
“Get Your Bot On” (GYBO) is a 34-hour hackathon focused on the design and prototyping of innovative ideas and solutions in robotics. Each team is given basic hardware to build a robot and are supported by mentors and technical experts to ensure their demo is ready for judging on the final day (Sunday). The theme for GYBO 2015 is "Healthy: People and Environments" and teams will be encouraged to prototype their robot ideas towards the initiative of healthier people, homes, schools, workplace, the environment, and play.
The public is invited to join us for a showcase of local robotics projects and the final demonstrations of robots built at the hackathon. The showcase takes place just outside the MaRS auditorium from 12:30 pm to 6 pm. Demonstrations of robots built begin at 2 pm. Tickets are available on our site. Members of our partner organizations can join us for free -- just mention the organization you're with.
Here's a taste of some of the technology that will be part of this weekend:
- Synaptive Medical will be demonstrating their neurosurgery robot.
- Kiwi Wearables will be showing their gesture recognition work.
- First Robotics Team 1325 Inverse Paradox will be demonstrating their competition bots.
- First Lego League will be showing their demonstration robots and playing field
- XYZ Interactive will demonstrate their GestureSense sensor, which they have donated to our teams.
- Wearhacks will have a number of wearable devices they loaned to teams to incorporate into robots, including the Muse, Myo, Kinect, Nod Ring, and Pebble.
- Mimetics will demonstrate their Jade robot for education.
- STEMCA School of Robotics and Innovation Centre will demonstrate their robotics and IoT kit for kids.
- Teabot will be there making tea.
We will announce more showcase participants on the website at www.getyourboton.com or @GetYourBotOn on Twitter. Follow the hashtag #GYBO2015.
See the site for details about our judges, Nora Young, Host and Creator, CBC Spark, Gord Kurtenback, Sr. Director of Research, Autodesk, and Jon Dogterom, Venture Lead, Cleantech and Physical Sciences, MaRS Discovery District and for the final schedule. http://getyourboton.com/event-info/
Special thanks to our gold sponsor Autodesk; our host sponsor MaRS; our silver sponsors OCE, Synaptive Medical, and Kiwi Wearables, Elmwood Electronics; and our bronze sponsor XYZ Interactive. Good luck to teams from our post-secondary partners, including Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Institute for Robotics and Mechatronics, and the Health Innovation Hub at the University of Toronto; Imagination Catalyst at OCAD, and the York Lassonde School of Engineering.